EVERYONE is talking about AI-generated marketing copy as of recent. As with a lot of trends, using AI for marketing copy is something everyone feels they should be getting in on.
I get it, too–it’s a tool with a lot of potential, if you know what you’re doing! Some of those changes, however? Mmmmaybe aren’t so positive.
I won’t tell you how to live your life 😉 But if you’re going to embrace AI, I do want you to know what you’re getting into.
First, answer this question:
- Will you be writing all of your copy yourself?
- OR, do you want to hand off copywriting entirely?
“I have to write my own copy.”
If you’re writing your own copy, using AI for marketing copy can actually be a helpful time-saver. Got a topic to write about, but find yourself staring at a blinking cursor and feeling stuck? Asking an AI such as ChatGPT to write about that topic can give you a starting point to work from.
If you go this route, make sure that you:
- check the copy for accuracy, because there’s a lot of misinformation out there.
- make edits to fit the type of marketing (social, email, blog, etc.).
- revise the copy so it sounds more like you, and less like a robot.
So, if you’re a newer business that doesn’t have a marketing budget yet, it could actually be appropriate to tag that robot for some help. You’ll be putting your own time into your marketing copy anyway, so a time saving measure like this one is a HUGE win for folks like you.
What if I want to hand off my marketing copy?
If you’ve been reading about AI and thinking, “why don’t I just save some budget and use AI for marketing copy across the board? What’s the problem with that?”
I know, you don’t WANT to write your own copy. You’re busy, you don’t like writing, you’d rather be going on a hike or having some oh-so-precious quiet time.
But sorry, friends, here’s the harsh truth: AI is NOT a substitute for good marketing.
“But why not,” you ask? WELL, here are just a few things our robot overlords can’t do:
- AI doesn’t do unique strategy for your business–it just does exactly what you ask it to. A good copywriter or marketer will come up with strategy as part of their content creation.
- Copywriters and marketers check for accuracy. ChatGPT doesn’t have that kind of quality control built-in.
- An AI “learns” by looking at existing copy… which leads to it generating content that sounds just like everyone else in your industry. (womp wommmmp) Copywriters and marketers, on the other hand, know how to create content that stands out.
The long and the short of it is, if you’re big enough to have a marketing budget, you’ll get much more out of your investment by working with a human being. There’s no algorithm for creativity (well, not yet anyway), and it doesn’t pay to cut corners on quality.
What can I do instead?
If handing off all of your content to a copywriter or marketer feels cost-prohibitive right now, consider hiring an editor or a copy coach to support you! Having an expert eye on the content you create will help you learn to create better content faster, and you’ll see better results from your marketing.
Are you looking for support with your online marketing? Get in touch with us! We can help you rework it all–marketing copy included!–or connect you with a trusted copywriting expert.